Saturday, October 24, 2009

Junior Gold Mining Stock List




I have created a junior Gold Miner stock list/index for my own use and thought I would share it for those who may be interested. I was hoping that by sharing this list, I may get some feedback and suggestions for improving this list. This list is very important to me for one reason: I plan to use it to make money.

I believe the Gold mania phase of this secular Gold bull market is fast approaching, which means that junior Gold stocks are going to start flying higher, as many already have since the terrifying fall of 2008 lows. Those lows were the buying opportunity of a lifetime for those brave enough to take the plunge. However, in my opinion, the party in junior Gold miners is just getting started. Getting back to last year's highs is just the first step for this sector.

The Van Eck Global junior Gold mining ETF should be out before the end of the year and for many, this is a much easier way to play the sector. I will certainly be participating in this ETF once it becomes available (pending ticker: GDXJ and see my previous post on this index here). However, this ETF has some flaws that include leaving out some good junior Gold miners and having a strange position in some larger silver miners that will at least initially make up the ETF's highest percentage holdings.

This list I created is a way for me to track the junior Gold stock sector. It is comprised of multiple sources, as I am not a geologist and do not have a mining background. I used the opinions and leg work of others to create this list. The various sources are included in the list and some stocks came from more than one source. Some of these sources may be more informed than others. Some of these companies are riskier than others (e.g. explorers versus early producers). All of these companies are listed on Canadian and/or American exchanges.

The charting opinions are mine alone and you can take them or leave them. I am approaching this sector from a broad diversification strategy standpoint and leaving the fundamental analysis to those who have more mining experience than I. My goal is to have a readily available list to consult from so that when I have more capital to invest, I immediately have a very short list of candidates to choose from without spending a lot of time doing research.

I have made the decision that from this point forward in the Gold and Gold stock secular bull market, I will be putting a larger portion of my speculative funds into junior Gold miners and a smaller portion into my favored larger cap Gold miners (I currently like Royal Gold [RGLD], Kinross Gold [KGC], Agnico Eagle [AEM], Yamana Gold [AUY] and Goldcorp [GG] as larger cap stocks). I had previously only put my speculative money into larger cap Gold stocks. Physical Gold bullion is the anchor of my portfolio but I don't trade it, whereas I plan to buy Gold miners on corrections and sell them when I think they are significantly overbought on an intermediate-term basis.

There is greater leverage in junior Gold stocks once the mania begins, but there is also greater risk. The sector is certainly not for everyone and provides little to no dividends/income. Higher risk = higher reward for those inclined to speculate. Once Gold fever hits (we're getting close but we're not there yet), small cap Gold stocks will outperform large cap Gold stocks. However, some of the firms in my list will likely go bankrupt and/or be de-listed, creating complete loss of capital. This is why diversification is so important in this sector for anyone who is not an expert investor/analyst.

I would really appreciate anyone who gets any benefit from this list or who has interest in this sector passing on any relevant information, which I will add if appropriate. Perhaps you know of the next "big" junior Gold miner not on this list or know additional information about a stock already in this list. I do not and have not ever subscribed to any letters, etc. from any of the analysts listed as references for the list.

If there is sufficient interest, I will be happy to post an updated list periodically with updates on my "charting"/technical analysis take on these firms, as I will be doing it anyway for my own benefit/use. I will only buy those firms ranked as a "1" in the charting column, will hold those marked as a "2", and will consider taking some profits or even completely exiting positions in those stocks ranked as a "3" on this list. I own some of the stocks in this list currently, but I do not currently own a majority of the stocks on this list.

Also please note that I am not interested in putting silver stocks into this list. Though I know silver stocks will have their day in the sun and I will be interested in them later in this economic cycle, my focus is on Gold stocks right now, not silver stocks.

I also currently am not including stocks that are not listed on American or Canadian exchanges for selfish reasons: the charting site I use (stockcharts.com) doesn't provide me a way to chart issues from other countries (it also doesn't seem to allow me to chart five letter pink sheet ticker symbols). There is enough global geographic representation in this list where I don't feel I'm missing out too much, but this is a another weakness in the roster creation process to be aware of. I also have NOT done my fundamental homework on these firms and you are thus left to do your own diligence on any stock you are thinking of investing in - some of these stocks may end up being "dogs" and may wallow near their lows or go out of business even as Gold rockets higher.

Without further ado, here is the list of 124 junior Gold mining stocks, courtesy of Scribd:

Junior Gold Mining Investment Spreadsheet

I have this list as an Excel spreadsheet, which is how I created it and use it so that I can do data sorts and other manipulation. It seems easier to use and review to me. If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of this Excel file, drop me a line via my blog in the comments section or email me at abrochert@yahoo.com (no charge for this list and please put "junior Gold stock list request" in the email subject line if you email me so I know it's not spam). I would be happy to post the Excel spreadsheet file, but I don't know how to do this currently.

[EDIT: A reader more tech savvy than I pointed out that if you download this list from Scribd, you can just select ".xls/Excel" as the file type and voila! I am still happy to email those who don't want a Scribd account or have any trouble getting this is Excel format]

Happy speculating!

Wikinvest Wire